February 25, 2011
On today's show you may have wanted more information about this stuff:
1) Imelda Marco and her shoes. Or...
...David Byrne on Imelda Marcos...
...and her maid slash estranged mother figure Estrella Cumpas...whew!
2) Bay to Breakers 2011
3) Boeing contract hurts victims of Gulf oil spill
1) Okay, so we didn't exactly spend Bruno Magli time on-air last week going on about Imelda Marcos's shoes. Sorry. I thought the world had heard enough about her shoes and wanted to get into something more titilating than her stinky feet boxes. But NO-ah! So here you are, links gay-lore including shoe stuff:
David Byrne on why he wrote and produced a double album exclusively devoted to Marcos and Cumpas:
“The story I am interested in is about asking what drives a powerful person—what makes them tick? How do they make and then remake themselves? I thought to myself, wouldn’t it be great if—as this piece would be principally composed of clubby dance music—one could experience it in a club setting? Could one bring a ‘story’ and a kind of theater to the disco? Was that possible? If so, wouldn’t that be amazing!”
—DB, from the introduction
2) Bay to Breakers is a vast public run event in San Francisco, California. This year it celebrates its 100th birthday! Hey! How the hell am I going to do it and still see my niece's graduation? (Crap! Okay, am seeing plane tickets and planning and running through airports in my future). The good bipeds of the Bay Area celebrate health and freedom and biology in such interesting ways! See the pics below.
3) Boeing and Airbus have been fighting for over ten years for the contract to supply military air-cargo-tankers and they appear to have won. Some say this will cause more pain for residents of the Gulf Coast states. EADS is one manufacturing arm of Airbus and guess where they do most of their work? Wrong if you said, Asia, or Mexico, or anywhere but Mobile, Alabama.
EADS would have employed thousands of Americans in Alabama and fueled the economy there, still reeling from the Katrina/BP/Mobil double whammy. With the Boeing victory, those jobs will go north to Illinois.
Links (included are cool pics of the tankers doing their famous in flight refueling bit)
San Francisco Bay Guardian 2/18/2011 Twitter editorial
Sandstone Farmhouse read with good intentions, but without any permission at all from John Updike, his heirs, or publishers.
Also used without permission, the intro music, if it worked, is "Wheels," by CAKE off of their album "Pressure Chief"
Discovery Learning Tutoring @ Google Groups
I am now a hardened broadcaster. Now, get back to work!
show notes and links
HWH w DD 2/25/11