Friday, June 24, 2011

Family Hour

Click BlogTalkRadio play button to hear show --->


Tune in to the Hard Work Hour with Douglas Douglas Live on Blog Talk Radio Friday mornings at 9:30 am PDT.

Today's show: "Family Hour" is dedicated to me and my family.

Also on today's show:
1) Local News
2) Other News
3) Local Loco
4) Family
5) Lit Minit : Joseph Larmor. An excerpt from his preface to Henri Poincare's 1952 book, "Science and Hypothesis."





(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

1) Local News

Ashton Kucher in SF Weekly




2) Oops! We didn't get to Other News!

       Other News

       War, chaos, misery, destruction...

3) Oops! W didn't get to Local Loco, either!

     Read your local paper. Pay a little now or pay a LOT later.

4) Family

     Even though anyone who knows me knows that I don't spend much time with my mom and sisters, I DO LOVE MY FAMILY.

Furthermore, since we are on the cusp of the sixth anniversary of my best family decision ever (that to marry and make an honest woman out of Carmen after thinking about it for a decade), I would like to expand a bit here on the fact that my family is MUCH BIGGER than those people who share most closely my CBGB DNA strands. I am now lucky to include as family my godson Elizabeth and my goddaughter Sean. My nieces who are spread all over the country from Ohio and Alabama and Florida to Arizona and California and now Colorado. My nephews who have an ironically similar geographic spread and my friends.

For a very long time I have held friends closer than my relatives. I do not take any pride in that other than to count myself AMAZINGLY LUCKY to have had the wonderful parade of freaks that I count as friends then and now.


My friends saved my life as well as often helping me put it in grave jeopardy. Without my friends I would be a very different and very probably dead, person.

Pat MacMahon and Doug Cook come to mind first when death is mentioned, 'cause they were the ones who I actually listened to at what turned out to be the end of my decade of binge drinking and debauchery and who corpse-walked me through my first pass through The Program.

I love my family. It is a struggle for me to show it. And many times I behave badly and stay away, too. This show is for you.

5) Lit Minit :Joseph Larmor. An excerpt from his preface to Henri Poincare's 1952 book, "Science and Hypothesis."

   I chose this because it is about ten steps up the learning ladder than I normally like to read. It jumped off the shelf at me in Berkeley and I share it with you here. He is writing about the magic of learning and the depth of human capacity for it. I ran out of time and had to try to read the whole thing in 45 seconds. Sorry. Grab a copy @ your local library or online and have a look yourself. Or read it here. Another one of the beautiful things about famous stuff more than fifty years old. No copyright stuff!




TYSM for reading and "listening." I hope you had fun. Now, GBTW! 


-- DD


But, if you DO have time right now, you can get more data here by following these links:



"The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg" was read with great love and respect but without any authorization or permission from the author, their heirs or publishers. 

Also used, but without permission, the intro music is "Wheels," by CAKE off of their album "Pressure Chief."




hardworkisfun@gmail.com


Notes and links from BTR show "Pride" 6/24/11 HWH w DD

Now, get back to work, dammit!

No comments:

Post a Comment